Back in April I decided to make my own energy bars for the Highland Fling Ultra.
They were amazing and since then I have been asked to share the recipe by a lot of people, so here it is.
Peanut Butter, honey, oat bars
Peanut Butter, runny honey, dried fruit (I used cranberries), oats, pumpkin seeds and hazelnuts.
1. Pour as much peanut butter as you want into a bowl, make sure you know how much you have poured in.
2. Pour in half that amount of honey.
3. Heat in a microwave for 30 seconds or until the peanut butter is soft, it shouldn’t be bubbling just softer so you can mix it.
4. Mix both together and add your hazelnuts, dried fruit and oats. Amount isn’t important, just mess around until it’s a good consistency.
5. Someone said I should have added Chocolate chips, I wish I had so i’ll try that next time.
6. Lay the mixture out on a baking tray which is about at least an inch deep and stick it in the fridge.
7. Remove from fridge after about an hour and slice into portions
Enjoy! Simple and they taste amazing, they lasted well on my 10hr run, they didn’t melt and kept me fueled for the entire race.